A Conversation with the Colorado Beerman
Powered by RedCircle
The intersection where journalism meets beer is a great thing indeed, especially when it comes to a very specific beer man by the name of Jonathan Shikes, AKA the Colorado Beer Man.
His passion for the Denver beer scene is evidenced in his decades long journalism career at Westword, Denver’s alt newspaper, with a focus on beer. A self-proclaimed history buff, Jonathan took his love for beer and journalism a step further. He wrote a book.
We sat down with Jonathan at one of the oldest known breweries in Denver, Tivoli Brewing Company, to talk about his new book, Denver Beer: A History of Mile High Brewing and his foray into the craft beer scene from beginning to current day. You could say it started out as a beer boom…a bust (prohibition)…and another boom! Here’s to hoping we’re not heading into another bust.
Where to find the Colorado Beerman
And where to purchase his book – Denver Beer: A History of Mile High Brewing
- Facebook @ColoradoBeerman
- Instagram @ColoBeerman
- Westword Magazine
- Westword Article on Colorado Beer Man’s Book
Oh, the places we went!
- Tivoli Brewing Company – historic brewery on Auraria Campus – Denver, CO
- Black Project Spontaneous and Wild Ales – unique brews – Denver, CO
- Joyride Brewing Company – great patio and ambiance – Edgewater, CO
- Our Mutual Friend Brewing – great RiNo brewery – Denver, CO
- Bierstadt Lagerhaus – great RiNo brewery and event space, shares space with a pub and cidery – Denver, CO
- Cerebral Brewing – great neighborhood brewery – Denver, CO
Oh, the beers we drank!
Since we hosted this particular podcast at Tivoli Brewing Company, of course, we consumed and enjoyed some Tivoli Brewing Company brews:
- Helles Lager
- Mountain Squeeze Juicy IPA
- Sigi’s Bock
- Roadrunner Red Ale
- Jet American IPA
PRO TIP: When possible, please check ahead anywhere you go. Many places are re-opening, but some may not be. Due to the C-word, you need to be prepared for restrictions and closures. Be flexible.
Like the podcast?
Buy us a beer.
Let us know you did just that, and we’ll put together a virtual happy hour with you. We’d love to see your smiling faces.
“Ken and April do a fantastic job of mixing the culture of beer and adventure into something akin to a fine barrel-aged sour. They are wise beyond their years. Loving this podcast and it will be on our weekly playlist for SURE!”TheDogInUs
Check out our Stout Conversation with one of the OG’s in the Denver Beer Scene, Tim Myers of Strange Craft Beer Company.
Inspired to do your own research on craft beer and breweries. Maybe you’ll write a book, too? Check out our guide on finding craft breweries no matter where you are.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE PODCAST TODAY!
- Owen X Pishna and Kumquat Asterson, two talented brothers, for creating the show’s theme music
- A Fearless Venture for assisting Ken with the stunning logo design and for putting up with our crap about SEO. Thanks, Teresa and Brian!