Powered by RedCircle
We are on location in southwest Colorado. Join us this week as we bring you with us on the road trip of a lifetime to breweries, restaurants, ski resorts, mountain biking trails, rafting trips, and more. There’s so much to do and see in Colorado; it’s overwhelming. So, instead of not knowing where to start, start with us. We’ll take you there.
Starting around Buffalo Creek and Bailey, Colorado, going through Buena Vista and Salida all the way to the San Juans to The Sand Dunes and everywhere in between, you won’t need anything else but our voices to guide you…well, you might need a bike.
Whether you’re planning for a vacation, living full time on the road, or just need a weekend getaway, we’ve got your resources, hilarious stories, and best places to be.
Oh the places we went!
Buffalo Creek, Bailey
- Buffalo Creek area – mountain biking, camping, hiking
- Mad Jack’s Mountain Brewery – Bailey, CO
South Park Valley
- Kenosha Pass – Colorado Trail, mountain biking, hiking, camping, moose watching, fall leaves
- town of Como – Boreas Pass (can go all the way over to Breckenridge), mountain biking, hiking, fall leaves
- South Park Brewing – Fairplay, CO
- Platte River Saloon – Fairplay, CO
- South Park Distilling – Fairplay, CO
- South Park City Museum – authentic restoration of a Colorado mining town – Fairplay, CO
- Hoosier Pass – Quandary Peak – 14’er for hiking, backpacking, views, pass goes all the way to Alma and Breckenridge
- Alma – highest incorporated town in the US, bike path from Fairplay to Alma
Buena Vista, Salida, Poncha Springs
So much to do here – mountain biking right from town, rafting, hiking, climbing, eating, drinking, shopping, camping, Harvest Hosts camping, so much boondocking, 14’ers, hot springs resorts, ghost towns, and more.
- The Jailhouse Craft Beer Bar – Buena Vista, CO
- K’s Dairy Delete – old fashioned burgers – Buena Vista, CO
- Eddyline Brewery – Buena Vista, CO
- Monarch Mountain – biking, skiing, snowboarding
- Elevation Beer Company – Poncha Springs, CO
- Amica’s Pizza and Microbrew – Salida, CO
- Moonlight Pizza and Brewpub – Salida, CO
- Tres Litros Beer Company – Salida, CO
- Soulcraft Brewing – Salida, CO
- Blue Mesa Reservoir
- Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
- Hartman Rocks – mountain biking
- 2 Rascals Brewing Company – Montrose, CO
- Colorado Boy Pub and Brewery – Montrose, Ridgway, and Ouray, CO
- Horsefly Brewing Company – Montrose, CO
Telluride and Crested Butte
So much to do and see here from breweries to distilleries to biking, hiking, skiing, snowboarding, backpacking, shopping, camping, scenic vistas, eating, drinking, and so much more.
- Telluride Brewing Company – Telluride, CO
- Telluride Ski Resort – mountain biking, skiing, snowboarding,
- Crested Butte Mountain Resort – hiking, skiing, snowboarding, biking
- Brick Oven Pizzeria and Pub – Crested Butte, CO
- Iron Horse Tap – beer, burgers, pizza – Crested Butte, CO
Ouray, Silverton, Durango
From hot springs to OHV trails to the Colorado Trail to hiking, biking, camping, so much boondocking, paddle boarding, so much beauty, to skiing and snowboarding to ice climbing to the Million Dollar Highway, we cannot get enough of this area.
- Wiesbaden Hot Springs Spa and Lodgings – hot springs and vapor caves
- Mr. Grumpy Pants Brewing Company (formerly Ourayle Brewing) -Ouray, CO
- Ouray Brewery – Ouray, CO
- Avalanche Brewing Company – Silverton, CO
- Kendall Mountain Camping – boondocking just outside of Silverton
- Silverton Mountain – backcountry skiing, snowboarding and heli-skiing
- Steamworks Brewing Company – Durango, CO
- Ska Brewing – Durango, CO
- Animas Brewing Company – Durango, CO
- Purgatory Resort – skiing, snowboarding, biking – Durango, CO
Sangre de Cristo Mountains, Alamosa, Crestone
- Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve
- San Luis Valley Brewing Company – Alamosa, CO
- The Colorado Farm Brewery – Alamosa, CO
- Crestone Brewing Company – Crestone, CO
- UFO Watchtower – San Luis Valley, near Crestone, CO
- Earth Knack – Stone Age living skills – Crestone, CO
- Mission:Wolf – educational, wolf and horse sanctuary – near Gardner, CO and the Sand Dunes as the crow flies
Oh, the beers we drank!
- Saint Petersburg Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Start from Next Stop Brew Co in Denver, CO (did not survive COVID)
- Campendium – free camping app
- iOverlander – free camping app
- freecampsites.net – free website for free campsites
- Allstays – app with a small fee but worth it for finding dump stations and potable water
- Harvests Hosts – membership site where you can access breweries, vineyards, farms, and more to stay overnight for free (save 15% with this link)
- MTB Project – free mountain biking trail finder app
- Trailforks – free mountain biking app – trails, reports, routes, etc.
PRO TIP: When possible, please check ahead anywhere you go. Many places are re-opening, but some may not be. Due to the C-word, you need to be prepared for restrictions and closures. Be flexible.
Like the podcast?
Help us keep it going with a donation.
“Ken and April do a fantastic job of mixing the culture of beer and adventure into something akin to a fine barrel-aged sour. They are wise beyond their years. Loving this podcast and it will be on our weekly playlist for SURE!”TheDogInUs
We’ve got you covered when it comes to places to boondock, how to buy to-go beer, what to expect in a brewery today, and more.
- Trying to Have Everything will Leave You with Nothing
- Free Camping, Beer, and Biking
- What to Expect When Visiting a Brewery Today
SUBSCRIBE TO THE PODCAST TODAY!
- Owen X Pishna and Kumquat Asterson, two talented brothers, for creating the show’s theme music
- A Fearless Venture for assisting Ken with the stunning logo design and for putting up with our crap about SEO. Thanks, Teresa and Brian!