This week the Beer of the Week is definitely about the beer (obviously), but it is more about the experience of the beer, and BrewDog does just that. They create an experience.
From the moment we turned the corner and caught the first glimpse of the huge blue flag blowing in the wind, there was this feeling of anticipation similar to climbing a 14’er, or soaring down the mountain on a snowboard, or whatever gets your heart a-racing.
Meandering through the parking lot, it was like entering a world we had only read about: a hotel appropriately named the Doghouse, on site with taps in each room, the gorgeous beer garden complete with pond, outside beer taps, Adirondack style chairs, fire pits, lawn games, and true to its name, an expansive area perfectly fit for man’s best friend.
And we hadn’t even gone inside yet! Could the massive interior compete with the coziness of nature’s beauty? Let’s call it a tie. Walking into BrewDog USA in Columbus, Ohio, for the first time (BrewDog originated in Scotland), was like walking into a piece of history from the textbooks. One will do well to remember that we are beer geeks. Upon entrance, the marketing gurus have done their job well, because you want to immediately take out your wallet, which we did, and buy stuff. They have everything from six packs to single bottles to t-shirts to tank tops, to work shirts, to hats, to coozies, to signs…you get the picture. It was like walking into…well, one of the best breweries ever.
The store (and we don’t like shopping) was just the beginning. Off to the left was a beer museum (see, textbook history come to life), then there was a bar to get beer while you shop and growlers filled to go, then a cozy sitting area to hang out and read books (books about beer, of course), then there was the restaurant complete with a variety of seating areas including a mezzanine, and of course arcade games and pinball machines, cuz you gotta have those. Then, the actual bar…the one with all the beer. It was a scene straight out of a Hollywood movie theater marquee, a sight of neon beauty. And the headliners on that marquee? The beer, of course!
So, yes, the Beer of the Week is an experience this week, but the beer still deserves all the credit. Listed below are only a few of BrewDog’s fantastic works of art.
Headliners on our Marquee – BrewDog
- Hazy Jane (New England IPA) – 7.2% This easy drinking beer is full of the juicy fruitiness of pineapple, stone fruit, mango, and a hint of lime peel.
- Jet Black Heart (Oatmeal Milk Stout) – 4.7% With roasty malt flavors of coffee and chocolate and a low ABV, this is a great dark beer to snuggle up with throughout the day and into the evening, described perfectly as “black as pitch and smooth as hell.”
- Elvis Juice (Grapefruit Infused IPA) – 6.5% You gotta love this one just for the name. Grapefruit, pine, and orange make this a “full frontal citrus overload” with intense flavors and an array of beautiful hops.
- Abstrakt 24 (Baltic Porter) – 12% This coffee and brown sugar “boundary pushing beer” is made in limited edition batches as noted by its number, and is meant to be savored and sipped. Beer can’t get much better than this.
- PB&J (Milk Stout) – 11% The names says it all, and with just the right amounts of PB&J, this is one helluva good beer. A sweet treat meant to be a reminder that adults like the good stuff, too.
BrewDog doesn’t just brew beer; they create art and push boundaries.
Their beer is an experience.
This experience is not done yet. You see, we were there because we are investors in BrewDog (click here for more info on becoming investors). We believe in this experience, and this was a party to celebrate that. This was Annual General Mayhem (AGM). There was more beer, and music, and guest beers, and crazy people, and food, and laughter, and smiles, and beer, and mud, and dancing, and new friends, and more mud, and…but that’s a story for another post.
To check out other Stout Life Approved beers and breweries, click here.
Until next week…Cheers, Salud, Afya!
Oh, and obviously, we’re beer people, so we definitely take suggestions of beer that you think could be the next Stout Life Recommended Beer of the Week. Send us a note by completing the form below. Looking forward to hearing from you.